You’ve no doubt heard stories over the years about the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. This is one of the scariest things which could happen to a homeowner, but many people still don’t understand how this happens. Today we’re going to look at the question of how carbon monoxide kills and discover how you can protect your employees or family moving forward. Go to this page to learn more about this topic and how we can assist you to avoid carbon monoxide problems.
How Does Carbon Monoxide Kill?
Carbon monoxide can’t be detected by humans as it’s a gas with no colour or smell. It’s produced from burning carbon fuels and can easily kill anyone who isn’t aware of its presence. It’s often found in the fumes of various burning fuels, including coal and petrol, but some household appliances may let off this gas. When you don’t have the ventilation that’s needed in your home, you are more likely to experience carbon monoxide poisoning. The reason that carbon monoxide kills so easily is that our red blood cells no longer have the ability to absorb oxygen. This kills your tissue and stops oxygen from circulating in the body, which results in death. It’s a very worrying topic to discuss, but learning about carbon monoxide effects in the environment is critical to remaining safe and healthy.
Is Carbon Monoxide Flammable?
As well as the risks we’ve shared above, another concern about carbon monoxide is that it’s flammable. This is why it’s so important to equip your commercial property with a fire alarm system to keep your employees protected. As carbon monoxide can’t be seen, tasted or smelt, it’s often too late to do anything by the time you realise it’s in the air. The more alarms and protection you can offer yourself, the more likely you will be to get out unscathed.
Protecting Yourself From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
While it’s certainly worrying to think about anyone in your family suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, the good news is that you can take certain actions to prevent this from happening. If you take one thing away from this article today, we highly recommend that you install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home. It should be marked with the Kitemark and meet the standards of EN 50291. This should be placed out in the open and not hidden away in a cupboard. If the alarm does go off at any point of the day or night, switch off the appliances in your home before opening up all of your doors and windows. From there, move yourself and anyone else in the building outside and call the gas safety advice line. If any of you notice the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as a headache, nausea, or dizziness, call for medical attention immediately.
Other Ways to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Another great way to prevent this from happening is to book an annual gas safety check. All of your gas appliances can be serviced by a Gas Safe Register engineer from your local area. Make sure oil and wood appliances are also checked annually. When it comes to the position of your gas boiler, it needs to be placed in a cupboard with vents. Check any pipework that goes to and from the appliances as well. This factsheet is a great place to start when learning more about what you can do to prevent carbon monoxide problems.
While it’s always fun to have your family over for a barbecue in the summer months, never use an outdoor gas or charcoal barbecue inside. The same goes for gas stoves, which should also only be used outdoors. The final thing to keep in mind is the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. If someone complains of nausea, dizziness, or headaches, take them out into the fresh air and call for medical attention. Sometimes these symptoms appear in a mild form at home and may disappear when out of the house. That’s a good sign that you may have a leak, so you’ll want to work with commercial fire alarm companies to ensure you are monitoring this moving forward.
Our fire alarm services company offers a wide range of solutions to protect homes and businesses in the local area. Carbon monoxide poisoning is something we all need to know the signs of, so we can prevent this from occurring in our homes. By following the advice shared above, you can protect your family and employees. If you do notice that someone has the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, act immediately to avoid any further damage or potential death. For more information about installing a carbon monoxide alarm in your home or workplace, contact our team today to learn how we can help you with this task.